Tuesday, March 22, 2011

St. Patrick's Day at SAS

I love celebrating St. Patrick's Day in school!

The week leading up to St. Patrick's Day I destroy the room so it looks like the leprechauns came through the classroom with a mission to mess up the room. I throw chairs on the floor as well as toys. I take green BINGO markers and stamp them all over the bathroom sink and toilet. I sprinkle green glitter on all the tables. The toilet becomes green with food coloring.  As the students come in for the day, they can't wait to see what the leprechaun has been up to all night.

The day before St. Patrick's Day as a class we come up with a "trap" to catch the leprechaun(s). This year the students came up with three traps on each of our tables. The first trap they made was a bowl full of glue. The kids put snacks all over the table to lure the leprechaun into the glue so that he gets stuck. The next table was a built with Magna-Tiles to capture the leprechaun. The third trap was really thought out. The children decided that the leprechaun(s) must be scared of people because he/she never comes around people. So, they drew pictures of people with scary faces meant to startle the leprechaun and then they spilled water on the table so he would slip and fall. Finally, we wrote the leprechaun a note and asked him why he was so naughty and why he kept messing up our room.

The morning of St. Patrick's Day the students came into the classroom excited to hopefully find the leprechaun. Instead they found miniature (baby) socks that were stuck in the glue. The leprechaun slipped out of his socks and got loose. He also ate some of the snacks and turned the glue green. He wrote a note back to the students but it was backwards. You had to hold the note up to the mirror to read it. They loved having a note from the leprechaun.

We enjoyed the rest of the day with rainbow jello with whip cream and green cupcakes!
Rainbow Jello with Whip Cream


Rainbow Jello Recipe
Ingredients
1 6oz box of Jello in Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, and Blue (5 boxes total)
Water

Supplies
5 bowls
glass 9 x13 baking dish

Directions:

To make jello add 1 1/4 cup boiling water to one packet of jello. Mix until dissolved.

1. In two separate bowls prepare blue and green jello.

2. Pour blue jello in baking dish, and let cool in fridge. Let set for 15 minutes.

3. Pour green jello gently over blue jello. Return to fridge. Let set for 15 minutes.

4. While jello sets, in two separate bowls prepare yellow and orange jello.

5. After 15 minutes have passed pour yellow jello over green jello. Return to fridge.

6. Prepare red jello.

7. After the yellow jello has set for 15 minutes, pour orange jello over yellow jello. Let set for another 15 minutes.

8. Pour red jello over orange jello. Let set until firm.

* I find this best to make the day before.

* Also, make sure the jello you pour on the set layer is not to hot otherwise it will melt that layer.
Above is the Letter from the Leprechaun



3 comments:

  1. I'm studying early childhood education and I LOVE your ideas! Can't wait to try some out at daycare next year :) thanks for sharing!
    cait

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so darn cute! I want to be in your class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! You know I haven't posted about all the fun stuff that I do in my classroom, but I think I will make it my goal to try to post more ideas. Hopefully, it will give others inspiration and things they can do too!

    ReplyDelete