Thursday, March 24, 2011

Computer Games for Kids

I think that with all the technology under our fingertips, there are some really great websites for kids. In my classroom we have two student computers for the kids to use during their free choice time (I will explain this in another post). We also have an excellent computer lab with a teacher to instruct them, and as the kids get older we have ipads for them to use in 5th grade. My students are just learning how to use the mouse and the keyboard. It really is surprising to see how many of students come into school at age 4 with competent computer skills. Below are a few of my favorite websites:

1. www.starfall.com - I love this website because the students can work on their calendar skills, learn their ABC's, sing songs, read books all while having fun!

2. www.janbrett.com- She is one of my favorite authors for children. After you read her books, you can go on her website and make masks, puppets, cards, etc. I love using her printable characters to re-tell the stories.

3. www.pbskids.org/ - This is great for interactive educational games. Word Play is great for introducing "big" words through a game.

4. www.sesamestreet.org/ - I love this website for math games! They have amazing games for patterning, shape sorting and counting. They also have some wonderful literacy activities too.

5. www.onemorestory.com/- This is a website that you do have to subscribe too, but it is totally worth it for the classroom. Once you subscribe, you can pick a book in their library to have read. I like to put these stories on during snack time on the smart board and we listen as a class.

If you have any other websites you like to use at your house or in your classroom let me know! I love to learn new sites to visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment