I took a quick trip and I mean quick! I met my mom and brother in Chicago on Friday mid-morning and then we rented a car and drove 2 hours to South Bend, Indiana. South Bend is such a special little town. Both my parents grew up in this little city and they still have really good friends and lots of memories there. My grandfather went to college at Notre Dame and we continually have family reunions on the college campus. The reason for this visit was to spend some time with my grandmother who is now almost 86 years old. She lives in an assisted living arrangement and we all felt it was important to pay her visit. She was so excited to see all of us. We went out to lunch, dinner and dessert. We met up with other extended family too. It was fun to drive around the little town and see my parent's childhood homes, local grocery stores, buildings my great grandfather owned and all the local hangouts. As always we walked a bit of the Notre Dame campus and visited the cemetery where my grandpa and other relatives are buried. It was emotionally hard to see my grandma's condition but it was also heartwarming to see how happy she was around family. We left South Bend and drove back to Chicago where my brother flew back to Portland. My mom and I stayed an extra night in Chicago and we did a lot of walking, eating and shopping or I guess I shouldn't say a lot but the most you could do in less than 24 hours. Altogether it was a successful trip full of laughs, tears and fun!
Relaxing at the home theatre in the hotel
Lunch
Bonnie Doon's Ice Cream Drive-in
Ordering
Walking Chicago
Night time
Purple Pig
Salmon dinner
Nutella, marshmallow, banana panini
Popcorn before the airport










No comments:
Post a Comment